Why wear a crotch strap / lifejacket harness?
- Stops the lifejacket riding up over your face or even head, by wearing a crotch strap it enables you to float better and keep your airway clear of the water.
- Keeps your lifejacket in a safe and correct position
- No waste of energy holding lifejacket down
- Means the waist strap doesn't have to be quite as tight to hold lifejacket down - particularly relevant to those whose waist is larger than their chest..
- If you fall in from any height with no crotch strap, depending on the make and model of lifejacket, the inflated life jacket can completely come over your head with the force of impact. Wearing crotch strap would keep your lifejacket in place and in the correct, safe position.
If you need more persuasion watch the brief video below:
Secure but not so tight that they effect your movement. If you end up in the water you can tighten your crotch straps further to stop your lifejacket riding up.