Going Abroad? - Boat Hire Licence

One of the best ways to enjoy your holiday - Get out on a boat! 

If you are planning a holiday and want to rent a boat you will need a licence to do this if you're hiring in the Mediterranean / Europe... 


So.. the licence you need to rent a boat in Europe is the RYA I.C.C. (International Certificate of Competence), in order to gain this need to do one of the following: 

RYA Powerboat Level 2 Course - 2 days, if you have some experience or no experience of driving a powerboat then this is the course for you. You can book onto a 'scheduled' course date , or you can also opt for private tuition on a mutually viable date to suit your schedule. Further course details and scheduled course dates can be seen here


RYA Powerboat Level 2 Direct Assessment - 1 day, if you have lots of experience of driving a powerboat then you can opt to just take the assessment (a bit like a car driving test). The fee for this is 

Once you hold the RYA Powerboat Level 2 certificate you can apply for an RYA I.C.C. (International Certificate of Competence) which is a licence that is for powerboats up to 10m in length by sending a passport photo, a photocopy of your RYA Powerboat level 2 certificate and the licence fee which is £45-00, if you are a member of the RYA (annual membership is £52-00) then you can get an I.C.C. free of charge. Please note the I.C.C. can take up to 21 days to be issued (unless you pay an additional fee for the fast-track service) - Further information can be seen here


Your training would take place on our school boat is 7.3m in length so will prepare you well for hiring any of the boats on most boat rental website. 

Contact us:


Tel: +44 (0) 1202 406066

Our Location:

Powerboat & Jetski Courses: Port of Poole Marina

Follow us on Facebook:

RYA Training Centre

Marine Education

'The Superyacht Jetski Specialists'

Superyacht PWC

Superyacht Marine Store

Marine Store EU