It is a legal requirement that anyone using a VHF radio (handheld or fixed) is qualified to do so. The only exception is in an emergency situation when anyone may use the radio to call for help.
Why would I spend my money on doing a course and buying a VHF and not just use my mobile phone?
- Many mobile phone networks have poor coverage at sea
- It is illegal to operate a VHF without an operators licence
- You can only speak to one person on a mobile phone, when you transmit on a radio everyone around you with a radio can hear your call for help.
- Lifeboats and helicopters can't home-in to a signal on a phone, they can on a radio so will be able to find you more quickly
- Mobile phones aren't waterproof!